- In order to comply with new Massachusetts regulations preventing the disposal of food waste in landfills, Ahold sought a way to beneficially reuse unsalable organic material from their grocery stores throughout the New England region, resulting in the development of an anaerobic digester.
- Dennis Group designed and built a Product Recovery Operation (PRO) at Ahold’s distribution center. The PRO facility consists of equipment capable of processing 130 tons of food waste daily, converting the waste into feedstock for a 1.3 MM gallon anaerobic digester.
- Biogas produced for the anaerobic digestion process powers a 1.1 MW generator, providing renewable energy to power the distribution center.
- The facility reduces Ahold’s food waste to landfill by 25,000 tons annually.
- The PRO plan produces 30% of the distribution center’s electricity.
- Dennis Group was able to secure $1.3 MM in energy efficiency rebates and grants for the project.